About Whitetop Station

The original building was torn down shortly after the rail line was abandoned in 1977. The photograph above was taken about 1956 or 1957. On October 22, 2000, the US Forest Service and the Friends of Whitetop Station dedicated a new building. The new building is slightly wider and longer than the original depot to better serve visitors. The northwest corner of the new building rests on the same spot as the original building. Today Whitetop Station welcomes visitors to the Virginia Creeper Trail and serves as a starting position for most bikers and a welcome rest for those who ride the trail from Damascus.